Download Full Text (132 KB)
The Maxwell & Panknin Coal Company Collection (also spelled Pankinin on some documents) consists of a ledger book, letter, receipts, meeting minutes, and a loose ledger pertaining to a business operation with the Clabourn & Baugh Drill Contractors.
Approximately 1916, Henry W. Panknin (1885-1944) and John Maxwell (1853-1924) and their brothers took over a mine on a 40-acre lot south of Scammon, Kansas. The mine, which was about 50 feet deep (dug by Grant Clabourn and Hale Baugh’s drills operated as the Maxwell and Panknin Coal Company until the late 1920s.
Business and Industry, Social Life and Customs
Size of Collection
0.3 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0354
Special Collections, Leonard H. Axe Library, "Maxwell and Panknin Coal Company Collection, 1900-1919" (2021). Finding Aids. 364.