Download Full Text (142 KB)
A collection of the club’s meeting minutes, secretary and treasurer’s notes, programs, yearbooks, scrapbooks and music sheets.
The Treble Clef Club was chartered in Pittsburg, Kansas in 1904 by women interested in the study of music. The club originally agreed to have no more than 20 members who would meet twice a month to study composers and perform their works. In 1908 the club expanded membership due to increased interest. The first junior club, for high school girls, was started in 1922 but did not succeed. The club tried again in 1944, creating a club with 28 girls. By 1964, four junior clubs were sponsored by the Treble Clef Club. These junior clubs disbanded in the 1980s, but the Treble Clef Club continued, evolving to one meeting a month. Throughout the years, the club held the purpose “to cultivate a deeper knowledge of an appreciation for music by systematic study and to promote and stimulate interest in all the musical activities of the city.”
Education, Performing Arts, Social Life and Customs
Education | Music
Size of Collection
14 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0335
Special Collections, Leonard H. Axe Library, "Treble Clef Club Collection. 1922-2015" (2021). Finding Aids. 335.