Download Full Text (47 KB)
A scrapbook of newspaper clippings from local and national newspapers related to agriculture, meat-packing, and the Hull and Dillon Packing Company of Pittsburg, Kansas.
Lewis Hull (1855-1940) moved to Pittsburg, Kansas in 1885 to start a meat business. With modest funds and a hogshead as a smokehouse, Hull gradually increased his business, selling meat to the local citizens. Hull was joined in business by his brother-in-law Thomas Dillon (1861-1952) and in 1891 they opened a packing plant on the banks of Cow Creek in Pittsburg. The company was incorporated in 1904 and from there, the plant expanded. By 1920, lard, hides, and grease were sent or sold to other companies across the nation and overseas. In 1922, Hull and Dillon acquired 1,200 acres of grain and farm stock to raise excess stock. This allowed them to purchase all cows offered and to condition previously unconditioned beeves for local slaughter or shipment. In 1925, the one-story plant was increased to three and in 1928 the plant increased to fourteen acres with electricity and modern refrigeration. The plant slaughtered one hundred hogs and twenty-five beeves a day by 1928, paying $1,187,000 to producers. A major policy of the company was employee relation and welfare. Lewis Hull passed away in1940 and Thomas Dillon in 1952.
Business and Industry
Size of Collection
.4 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0274
Special Collections, Leonard H. Axe Library, "Hull and Dillon Packing Collection, 1928-1940" (2021). Finding Aids. 313.