Download Full Text (187 KB)
A collection of financial records and Board of Education minutes from 1871 – 1987 for School District No. 49 and USD 250 in Pittsburg, Kansas.
School District No. 49 of Pittsburg, Kansas and the surrounding area was organized in January of 1877. Beginning with a two-story wooden building, the school district either made renovations or added new schools every few years. District 49 grew from one classroom, requiring just one teacher, to needing 32 teachers to accommodate its 32 classrooms by 1891. The enrollment of students increased from 100 to 1,800 in eleven years. It was not until after 1962 when the state of Kansas adopted unified school districts to reduce the number of rural districts that School District No. 49 became USD 250. Before the legislation, Kansas had 3,000 districts, which then dropped below 400.
Size of Collection
14 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0275
Special Collections, Leonard H. Axe Library, "Pittsburg Board of Education Collection, 1871-1987" (2021). Finding Aids. 297.