Download Full Text (204 KB)
A collection of newspaper articles and photographs covering aspects of history of Carthage, Missouri including the Battle of Carthage (1861), early downtown to the 1960s, transportation, fire and police departments, government, and schools.
Carthage, Missouri was platted in 1842 when it was chosen as the county seat for Jasper County, formed in 1841. By the Civil War, the town had 500 residents and many businesses. It, like many areas in Missouri, was divided over the issue of slavery and on July 5, 1861 Union troops, led by Frank Sigel, and Confederate troops, led by Claiborne F. Jackson and Sterling Price, fought in the Battle of Carthage. Frank Sigel and his 1000 troops encamped in Carthage which Governor Jackson discovered and sent 4000 troops down to deal with. Starting ten miles north of Carthage, the battle ended with Sigel’s retreat in the town square and a victory for the Confederacy. Following the war, the population grew and in 1872, the Missouri Western Railroad arrived. A foundry, factories, and other businesses were founded with help from the nearby mines and quarries adding to the town’s wealth. Residents began building Victorian-style homes and the Carthage Court House was built between 1894 and 1895 of stone from the quarries. Ward L. Schrantz of the Carthage Press was interested in Carthage and Jasper County history and wrote Jasper County, Missouri, In the Civil War and many articles in the newspaper.
Business and Industry, Government and Law, Military and War, Social Life and Customs
Architecture | Arts and Humanities
Size of Collection
.4 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0261
Special Collections, Leonard H. Axe Library, "Carthage, Missouri Collection, 1861-1972" (2021). Finding Aids. 272.