Download Full Text (168 KB)
A collection of minutes, registries, historical notes, and photographs of the First Presbyterian and the United Presbyterian Churches of Pittsburg, Kansas.
In the early days of Pittsburg, Kansas, there were two Presbyterian Churches. While both were technically First United Presbyterian Churches, one was locally called the First Church and the other was called the United Presbyterian (UP) Church. The two churches, despite being the same denomination, were different in organization, style, and heritage. The First United Presbyterian Church was started on March 12, 1879. The first full-time minister was Reverend Francis Symmes who served from 1883 to 1885. The church had several more ministers before Rev. Gerritt Snyder. It was during his time that a new church was built in 1907. The United Presbyterian Church was started on April 29, 1880 with Rev. Gibson of the Beulah, Kansas church serving as minister. In 1891, the United Presbyterian Church purchased the Tabernacle Methodist Church, which is now the Memorial Auditorium. In 1915, construction began for a new church, which was dedicated in 1916. Both congregations moved or built new churches several more times before the two churches merged on January 1, 1986, becoming the Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg, Kansas.
Size of Collection
16 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0246
Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg, "Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg, Collection, 1879-2003" (2021). Finding Aids. 256.