Download Full Text (202 KB)
A collection of documents, photos, scrapbooks, and other items regarding Mt. Carmel Hospital and Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, Kansas.
In 1903, the Mt. Carmel Hospital was opened to the public in Pittsburg, Kansas by the Sisters of St. Joseph, of Wichita, Kansas, serving local citizens and miners. The hospital was operated by the Sisters, who performed the cooking, cleaning, nursing, and other tasks while doctors donated their services and time. Throughout the years, many additions were added to the hospital. Though the final expansion was finished in 1951, by 1960 it showed signs of needing its own doctor and was having trouble accommodating the needs of the community with much-needed repairs and often being over capacity. This led to the 70-acre location on Rouse and Centennial Streets where a $6.5 million hospital was built and opened in 1971. The hospital became a part of Via Christi Health Systems in 1995 and added an $18 million surgery center in 2014.
Medicine and Health Sciences
Size of Collection
18 linear feet
Dates of Collection
SpC MS 0240
Special Collections, Leonard H. Axe Library, "Ascension Via Christi Hospital Collection, circa 1940-2004" (2020). Finding Aids. 253.