Pittsburg State: Then & Now
Russ Hall became Pittsburg State University's first building in 1908. Originally State Manual Training Normal School, Pittsburg State had Russ built as its Administration Building and for classrooms. On June 29th, 1914, the building was struck by lightning and caught on fire. Classes were held in tents outside the building until it was restored. As campus grew, more class types were moved to other buildings. Today, Russ Hall is the home of the President's Office, HR, and History Department.