Pittsburg State: Then & Now
McCray Hall is home to the Department of Music and the Sharon Kay Dean Recital Hall. "McCray Hall, or Music Hall, was designed by state architect Charles P. Cuthbert, in modified English Gothic style as a companion to Porter Hall on the other side of Russ Hall. Ground was broke in 1927 and cost $150,000 to build. The new building was dedicated on April 13, 1929. It was rededicated in 1961 as McCray Hall in honor of Dr. Walter McCray, the second head of the music department. The lobby is tiled on the floor and walls with ceramics from the Rookwood Pottery of Cincinnati, OH. Originally the walls in the lobby were adorned in Belgian tapestries, one depicting a scene from Puccini's "La Boheme" and the other titled "The Great Masters". They were lost after the two Birger Sandzen paintings were purchased in 1949 at a cost of $150.00 each."
--PSU, Additional Building Histories. Pittsburg, Kansas Memories. https://pittsburgksmemories.com/Pittsburg_PSU/pittpsubuildings.html