Black and White portrait of Rex Tanner. Tanner was attending the summer session in 1914 to earn the final credits for his bachelor's degree. He was assisting the Pittsburg firemen who were trying to extinguish the Russ Hall fire on June 29, 1914. According to the fire department the hose nozzle got away from Fireman H. C. Miles and startled the fire horses, Cap and Deck, who were hooked to the hose wagon. Deck ran into a downed power line and was electrocuted. Tanner also got his leg wrapped up in a live wire and was electrocuted. The residence hall, Tanner Hall, was named in memory of Rex Tanner in 1954.
Kansas -- Crawford County -- Pittsburg;
Digital image copyright 2014, Pittsburg State University. All rights reserved. For more information contact the Leonard H. Axe Library Special Collections, PSU, Pittsburg, KS 66762.
Kansas State Manual Training Normal School--Photographs; Universities and colleges--Kansas--Pittsburg--Photographs; Pittsburg (Kan.)--History--Photographs